Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Working it Out Wednesday: Extra-Slow Cook Meal


I was so proud of myself yesterday. I took the time to prepare a slow cooker meal- one of my favorite recipes. I chopped, mixed, and stirred and went back to work, happy to not have to think about what was for dinner.

A few hours later, I happened to be in the kitchen (coffee time!) and peeked in the crockpot. Nothing was cooking. I hesitantly touched the bottom of the pot and it was completely cool. My eyes flashed up to the wall socket. Yes, I had plugged it in (just checking...embarrassing, but it has been known to happen!) and it hit me: check the GFI. It was the culprit, alright--must have been tripped and needed to be reset. The question of what to have for dinner was upon us after all.

Thought I'd share my boo boo. Here is my favorite crockpot meal-- which will now be dinner tonight-- in case you were wondering:

Moroccan Crockpot Tajine
1 (3lb) package of frozen stewing lamb or lamb shoulder or stew beef chunks or 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in  (I only use the chicken and it's boneless)
4 cloves garlic
2 onions
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups small chunks of carrots
3 cups large chunks of peeled squash or potatoes (I always use butternut squash)
1 (10 ounce) can condensed chicken broth or 1 cup chicken bouillon
1/2 cup pitted green olives (this is optional, but I love olives)
1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (also optional, but love the chickpeas, too!)

1. Thaw lamb, trim excess fat from lamb or beef, and cut into large bite-size pieces. If using chicken thighs, leave whole.
2. Mince garlic and thinly slice onions.
3. Stir garlic with onions, cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, chili flakes or cayenne pepper, carrots, squash (or potatoes), broth, and olives (if using).
4. Add meat.
5. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 9-10 hours.
6. Stir in chickpeas, if using, during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
7. Serve over couscous or crusty bread.

Total Yumminess


I found this on recipezaar.com a couple of years ago and love love love it.

Enjoy your day (and dinner tonight)!
-M





No comments:

Post a Comment