Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Manic Monday: Inspiration

My Weekend Inspiration

I stayed indoors mostly this weekend due to the weather. I managed to DVR two movies I've been wanting to see, The Fighter and The Kings Speech - the Oscars were spot-on with the nominations and awards. Very inspiring movies in regards to both brotherhood and friendship.

I have 3 sons and I want them to grow up to be good brothers to one another, through thick & thin. Although they didn't watch The Fighter, I told them the message about 1) don't EVER do Crack/drugs {lol, this is a good message and my oldest saw how deathly thin Christian Bale was in this role as a crack addict} and 2) be the best brothers you can to one another. I want them to always be there for each other, even when their dad and I are no longer around.

The Kings Speech was amazing as well in terms of friendship. I love Colin Firth and I loved the role Geoffrey Rush played as the King's speech therapist. My favorite parts of the movie were when Colin Firth actually began to confide in Geoffrey Rush, thus building the trust and friendship. His story about his "Nanny" is still in my mind, poor little kid.

The sun finally shone on Sunday and I managed to get outside and work in the yard, which I love to do. Mother Nature is a true inspiration and whenever the sun is shining I'm typically more apt to be doing something whereas the rain and clouds always makes me less inclined to tackle any projects.

I hope you all find something inspirational to get you moving this week. As long as the sun shines, I'll be at the Little League fields twice this week. I love watching my sons play baseball.

Have a great week!!

Elena

The flowers in my yard inspire me!!



 Inspired by the Doctor

After a long week at work and no time to write, I started the weekend feeling battered, tired, and lacking in enthusiasm. It was my week with our story, so I also had the added pressure of a deadline. I read the chapters from Elena; then I re-read them. Normally, I immediately launch into writing. This time, I just stared at a blank screen. 

Despite my weariness, I was looking forward to the return of Dr Who. Growing up, I had heard of this show and of the time traveling blue box; however, it wasn't until David Tennant became the Tenth Doctor that I started watching. I loved his energy and fell in love with the show. When it was announced that he wouldn't be returning, I was saddened and apprehensive. It did take a bit for me to warm to Matt Smith and his interpretation of the character; however, by the end of the season, I loved and appreciated the Doctor in a new way. So, yes, I was excited for the season premiere.

I spent Saturday attempting to write with the Dr. Who marathon playing in the background (read: staring at a blank screen listening to the Doctor, Amy, and Rory's adventures). While I did get some writing done, it wasn't flowing. I turned the computer off to watch the premiere and fell in love all over again. 

I marveled at this world on the screen and at the imagination from which it was created. Everything means something- even the most trivial- and leads to some greater understanding. Even when that understanding is trivial, it is still important. My thoughts turned to my blank screen: so focused was I on the action and the meaning behind what I thought I should write, I was actually blocking my own progress. Thanks to the Doctor, I was artistically rejuvenated (as well as completely creeped out by The Silence).

I, too, hope you all find inspiration this week. Whether it's in the weather, season, each other, or- if you are a Dr Who fan- in the Doctor. And remember: anything is possible!

-M


"Time isn't a straight line, it's all bumpy-wumpy. There's loads of boring stuff like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays, big temporal tipping points when anything is possible."



No comments:

Post a Comment